Tag Archives: cold glue systems
Maintain Production Efficiency Even as Temperatures Drop
December 22 might mark the first official day of winter, but chances are you’re already experiencing those colder temperatures, and so is your production area. Just a few degrees drop in ambient temperature at the machine can cause major problems with the viscosity of water-based, cold glue adhesives.
Luckily, warming hose kits offer a pretty simple fix for maintaining constant adhesive viscosity, helping ensure your cold glue systems are functioning properly when the mercury falls.
Here’s How It Works:
All cold glue systems are temperature sensitive. In fact, standard cold glues can change in viscosity by up to 2% for every 2° F (approximately 1° C) temperature change, or in some cases, even more. Such changes in viscosity result in an inconsistent adhesive flow, and in turn, can lead to lost production and poor product quality.
Specifically in the winter as temperatures drop, adhesive viscosity increases and can reach a point where the system cannot function properly, or in worst-case scenario, quit working altogether.
To combat this, cold glue warming hose kits are used to maintain the adhesive at a correct operating temperature, ensuring constant adhesive viscosity for proper system operation. No matter how cold the plant gets, the adhesive temperature and viscosity remain stable.
Benefits of Cold Glue Warming Hose Kits
The benefits of using heated hoses for cold glue application include:
- Allows for very stable adhesive viscosity year around
- Fully operational glue valves
- Reduces product waste due to improper adhesive volume
- Uses less energy than needed to heat the area around the machine
- Easily adapts to nearly any existing installation/application
Maintain Consistent Cold Glue Adhesive Viscosity
If you’re operating in factory conditions where ambient temperatures can fall below what is recommended for adhesive application, these warming hose kits offer an efficient and cost effective method to help guarantee your cold glue systems are operating at full capacity this winter.
If you’d like to learn more, speak with one of our product specialists today by clicking here.
The Valco Melton team is pleased to announce the expansion of its business operations in India with a move to a larger office space to accommodate future development plans.
The new office is located at #981, 1st floor of the Ideal Homes Township on Mysore Road in Bangalore.
While the team only recently moved into the space over the summer, they are already enjoying many of its new features including additional customer demonstration and trial areas, as well as increased inventory, and service and repair facilities.
The strategic decision to move offices will enable the company to increase sales and service support of all hot melt and cold glue products for its customers, and meet the demands from rapid business growth in India and surrounding territories.
Since January 2011, Valco Melton India (a wholly-owned subsidiary of our Cincinnati based corporation) has continued to build on its strong team of experienced managers and sales/service technicians. Bangalore will remain the main office in the area, with other regional offices located in Ahmedabad, Chennai, Mumbai, New Delhi and Pune.
Read more about Valco Melton India’s new office and presence at this year’s PackPlus trade show in Packaging South Asia magazine here.
On behalf of the entire Valco Melton India team, we look forward to working with you and welcoming you into our new office.
To speak with someone from Valco Melton India directly, please click here. Complete contact details for the new office can also be found below.
VALCO MELTON INDIA
(Valco Melton Engg. India Pvt Ltd) #981, 1st floor, IDEAL Homes Town Ship, RR Nagar,Mysore Road Bangalore 560098
T: +91 80 28602821
F: +91 80 28606117
Today, the corrugated box industry is very competitive. Not only do you need to deliver corrugated boxes in record times at unbeatable prices, but with the various technologies available, the standard requirements for corrugated box manufacturers have been set extremely high. You are now expected to deliver flawless, 100% defect-free boxes. In an effort to help you manufacture boxes at the highest possible level, we have gathered together a few important points, learned from over 60 years in the industry.
- Keep it clean! I’m sure many of you are tired of hearing those three words. But, as many others will tell you, it wouldn’t need to be said, if everyone made sure to do it. If you are working with an older glue pot and wheels, you know they tend to generate a little glue slinging. This can affect the quality of the glue joint and create stickers where boxes in the bundle will stick together. Glue pot and wheels can also create adhesive contamination with dust and debris. Additionally, the metered amount of adhesive is hard to maintain to ensure a proper bond. As for adhesive applicators, although they are the cleanest choice, it is important to check them regularly to avoid possible nozzle or applicator clogging.
- Minimize any possibility of human error. This may seem impossible to some, but it can be done. When working with different sized board panels and speed requirements in the corrugated box industry, it is necessary for the operator to constantly adjust the pattern length and placement in order to keep a consistent and high quality adhesive application. This is a time consuming task; any distraction can cause a mis-adjustment that will result in product loss. It is now possible to upgrade your adhesive application system to a gluing station with automated pattern changes or auto-glue, which ensures a proper glue-lap joint regardless of the length of the tab or panel.
- Ensure that the board has been glued, folded and printed properly. These days this is possible by incorporating a quality assurance vision inspection system into your process. Quality assurance has 3 components: identify the non-conforming product, remove it from the production line, and monitor the lines’ statistics to hold plant operations accountable. All 3 are possible in ways not imagined five years ago in the corrugated box manufacturing industry, with vision-based quality assurance. Snapshots of defective products are saved and catalogued. Machine performance can be monitored remotely and statistically analyzed. The same statistics enable managers to be aware of developments on converting lines as they occur and to take corrective action in a timely fashion.
- Scrap can blotch your reputation. For a flawless result, incorporate a scrap or tab removal system to prevent hanging scrap that has not been properly cut after being folded into the box.
5. Get rid of defective boxes before they make it onto your delivery truck. Bundle ejection systems are used in conjunction with a quality assurance system to guarantee that the defective boards are removed from manufacturing and not shipped to the customer. As the second major component of a Quality Assurance System in paper converting, removing defective product from the line automatically is unparalleled in regards to effectiveness. All other options rely on operators to sort product or catch errors and take them out of the stream. Automatic ejection takes care of the removal without interrupting production.
By implementing these tips into your manufacturing process today, you will begin seeing its direct impact on the quality of your corrugated boxes. If you are interested in hearing more about any of these topics, please let me know!
To get your free, downloadable copy of this information with an additional 2 bonus tips! follow this link For additional information or to speak directly with one of our leading gluing and quality assurance experts, contact us here.
To be notified when a new tip or story has been added to our blog, receive updates automatically. It’s easy! Just add this blog’s feed to a feedreeder of your choice by selecting the orange RSS icon at the top of this screen. If this sounds like brain science to you (and that is not your specialty), it’s not! I would be happy to help you learn how to do this. It is a great way to stay up on news across a range of sources from one location, saving you valuable time. Just let me know! – Laura Magee, Global Marketing Director
What I’ve found through my research is that few companies can boast the knowledge and expertise that Valco Melton has acquired by working on special engineered projects with market leading companies in the coating and converting industries over the past number of years. When speaking with one of our Label, Coating & Converting Division Sales Experts, Bob Taylor, he explained that our sales & engineering groups have a skilled understanding of our customer’s requirements and can offer expert guidance on hot melt and cold glue adhesive coating on numerous substrates including paper, foil, film, foam, and release liner to the Label and converting industries. From standard coating equipment to “turn-key” engineered solutions that can integrate into customers’ existing equipment or solve a specific problem, Valco Melton systems are proven to perform to the desired exact specifications.
Our Engineered Products Group designs and manufactures complete stations to be incorporated into both existing production lines including retro-fittings into most label presses or new OEM supplied lines. These stations often include web control, tension control devices, nip roll configurations and integration into existing control systems as required.
Our ability to customise and design solutions to customer requirements combined with our standard fluid handling systems, including melt tank options from 10–600kg capacity and new high output drum unloaders and customized control systems, provides the perfect solution for single sourcing the customer’s complete adhesive application requirements.
Valco Melton slot-die coating systems can be configured to apply coatings with zero scrap caused by unglued web following reel changeover or production stops. Their unique re-circulating systems can be presented as an option to improve temperature stability for accuracy to existing Gravure coating systems.
Our systems also coat at the highest precision with a wide range of adhesives such as PSA, UV hot melt, heat-seal adhesives, barrier adhesives or water based acrylic emulsions.
And last, but certainly not least, our adhesive applicators feature diverse configuration options to meet and exceed each user’s specific needs with customised coating widths, removable blade-sets for bi-directional coating and fast width / pattern changes along with manual or motorised width regulation and options for integrated motorised bar for ultra-thin, streak free adhesive coatings are all available.
Valco Melton supports its customers from over 70 countries worldwide through a network of direct sales and distributorships. It has been a leader in providing the most innovative gluing application and quality inspection systems since 1952. For questions, or to watch more about this now, click here.
Fatal error: Call to undefined function valco_paging_nav() in /home/blogvalc/public_html/wp-content/themes/valco/tag.php on line 75